Saturday 13 March 2021

MIA and a few Sympathy Cards

 Sorry I've been a bit preoccupied the last few weeks and haven't been posting.  I have been creating, I just haven't had time to post.   One of my favourite charities (an orphanage in Tanzania where I foster a child) is doing it tough.  Not only has just about all the fund-raising either been cancelled or curtailed since COVID reared its ugly head, but the virus has now reached the isolated community.  I've been creating cards to sell to raise funds.  So far I've raised over €500 and the last 3 weeks I've been flat out meeting demand.   Not that I'm complaining, it's good to keep busy and helps keep my thoughts away from dark places.  You may have heard the EU has not done well with the vaccinations thus far and we have no idea when we will be vaccinated and life can return to normal.  In fact my son's teachers are preparing for more  home-schooling for the week before and the week after the Easter holidays (four weeks at home will drive us both bananas)!   At the moment my mantra is "Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming" like Dory from Finding Nemo!  Here are some cards I made for a friend who needed some sympathy cards using a few NBUS items.  

The first is a wild daisy made using on of the the Tim Holtz Wildflowers 3 dies.  I cut three and layered them up to give dimension and sponged some Wild Mustard and Black Soot Distress Inks onto the flower centre (masking off the petals) and Peeled Paint DI onto the stem.   I was lucky enough to find this panel of DP with other wildflowers as a backdrop.

I'm entering this card in the following challenge
Daring Cardmakers - Plant a Flower

This second card was made with a dandelion die I bought at Dortmund (Creativa 2019 - remember those days when we could attend public events).   I just blended a few inks onto a panel, added a few drifting dandelions and a sentiment.

I'm entering this card in the following challenges 
NBUS Challenge #24 - There is unused schtuff in all these cards, but this dandelion die is the oldest
The Paper Players - see picture below, the dandelion in the top centre captured my imagination!



This third one is something I've been wanting to try for a while.  I used a butterfly swarm die (Aliexpress) to create a large number of various sized butterflies and added them to a Twiggy Tree (Memorybox)  instead of blossoms.  I love my Twiggy Tree die and have probably used it every spring for the past nine years I've owned it.  It reminds me of the Japanese plum tree outside my kitchen door - which is preparing to burst into life any day now!


I'm entering this card in the following challenges 
Day of the Month Club Challenge #25 - Learn About Butterflies Day and 2nd Blog Anniversary
Modsquad Challenge - Beautiful Butterflies
CAS on Sunday - Spring
Happy Little Stampers - Anything Goes with Dies

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit.  If you leave a comment, I’ll be over the moon!  I’ll also know you were here, so I can check out what you’ve been up to and we can get to know each other better!

Kate

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kate

    It sounds like you have been very busy with all your fundraising .. .. that is an amazing amount of money you have raised so far. With everything else you have happening I think you are doing really well .. .. definitely keep swimming.

    So much damage has been done by the virus .. .. a lot of which we just don't consider or realise.

    I have been helping out a dementia home nearby by sending them crafty goodies to play with. Normally they would have raised funds for this kind of thing at fundraising events but of course they haven't been able to hold them .. .. so no funds for the "fun" stuff which is just as important in keeping spirits up as the wonderful care they receive.

    Your cards are beautiful and I am not surprised they are selling well. I love the first one with the cute decorated envelope.

    Take care Kate. I hope your vaccine's come through soon and your foster child stays safe,

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card. I love the idea of using butterflys instead of blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done with the fundraising.
    The tree card is beautiful
    Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers Anything Goes with Dies challenge.
    Happy crafting!
    Catherine x DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless your heart. You have certainly had your hands full, so wonderful of you to raise that money. I love your butterfly tree card, it's so creative and gorgeous. Great take on the challenge, thank you so much for participating with us over at the Mod Squad!!
    Judy~ Mod Squad Challenge Designer
    {Judy's Happy Place} Stop by and see me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your idea of the butterflies flying off the tree. Glad you joined us at DotMCC. Gundi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about the lack of funding for the orphanage and the problems with the vaccine distribution, Kate. These are tough times and you are making the world a better place with all your lovely card designs. And they all truly are lovely! When you keep putting one fin in front of the other, remember that you are making a positive difference! Thank you for all you do and for sharing with everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful spring card, Kate. I love that tree and the butterflies.Thank you for joining us at CAS on Friday. xx Wilma

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!