Thursday 25 March 2021

Sending Love (and Butterflies)

 


I saw a gorgeous card on Pinterest not so long ago with stamped ferns in the shape of a wreath in colours of a pastel rainbow.  I've been wanting to try it for a while and being the mail to Australia is so slow, thought I'd make up a card for my mum for Mother's Day (2nd Sunday in May) using this technique.  My attempt isn't all that great but I'm sure my mum will treasure it anyway and appreciate all the love that went into it.  This was the 2nd attempt - I kept the first as a guide of what NOT to do!

I don't think I've ever made a circular easel card before and I went wrong somewhere (I'm still not sure where though).  I lined it up straight, but when it was opened, I realised the image twisted slightly.  It wouldn't have been a problem if I hadn't used linen card stock with an obvious grain!  Because I'd put so much work into the panel, I removed it to try again but it got a little warped in the process 😞!

I have a few sprig and wreath dies that would have been good for this purpose but I wanted the ethereal look of the overlapping stamps and the closest I had to a curved fern was this Simple Sprig (Waltzing Mouse Stamps - gone but never forgotten).  Well 5 of the 8 leaves to be precise as the other 3 would not lend themselves to the curve.  So I selectively stamped  (placed removable tape over the unwanted foliage) the sprig in the six colours of the pastel rainbow produced more or less the desired effect.  There were some problems with where the sprigs met so I added butterflies to cover these and then added a few more so there was one in each colour.   My Memento Tuxedo needs reinking (or replacing) so I've used Versafine.  I do love stamping with Versafine BUT it takes forever to dry and it seems to react with alcohol markers.  It's barely noticeable but you'll notice it in the closeup coming.  I'm loving this butterfly stamp.  I saw it a few months ago at Action (the closest we have to a dollar store in Luxembourg).

For the sentiment, I chose this "Sending" die (Glossily Cccented of course) and "LOVE" spelt out.  I sprinkled glitter on the LOVE as the Glossy Accents was drying (because I accidentally smudged one of the letters) which looks rather spectacular IMO!  I even managed to capture some of this magic - makes me think of a black opal!  You can also see the dimension of the butterflies.


I'm entering Papercraft Challenge #68 - which has the prompt Regenbogen/Rainbows and
Shopping Our Stash Challenge #441 which has the prompt Rainbow Connection;

I'd also like to enter the ModSquad Challenge which has the prompt Springtime;
The Sisterhood of Crafters with the prompt Easter/Spring;
Daring Cardmakers Challenge with the prompt Spring Things


I'd also like to enter Retro Rubber Stamps Challenge #154 - Anything Goes.  The Simple Sprig Stamp was bought in 2013.


I'd also like to enter NBUS Challenge #24 because the "Sending" die just arrived today in the post.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit.  If you leave a comment, I’ll be over the moon!  I’ll also know you were here, so I can check out what you’ve been up to and we can get better acquainted!

Kate




6 comments:

  1. Stunning project, BRILLIANT design.. Thank you so much for entering your gorgeous project into our "Easter/Spring " challenge atThe sisterhood of crafters this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
    Cheers, aNNie DT Member
    https://thejourneyisthestarthere.blogspot.com/{My Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW ... what a fun & fabulous design! Well done! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Sisterhood of Crafters challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    SISTERHOOD OF CRAFTERS
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Please stop in for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love your round easel card, it perfectly fits the beautiful wreath and butterflies!!!
    Thank you for sharing with us at RETRO RUBBER.
    Stay healthy and safe.
    XO
    Maria/DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you persevered, because your circular card is amazing! I love the rainbow "wreath" and the butterflies are beautiful! Thanks for sharing this with us this week at RR!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a lovely Springtime card. Its always a joy to see the first butterflies in Spring, isn't it?
    Thanks for joining in with this week's challenge at The Daring Cardmakers and also for visitng my personal blog and leaving such a lovely messafe

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really stunning.
    Thank you for joining our challenge. I love to see you back.

    -xiss- Renate.
    (DT Papercraft Challenges)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!