Thursday 11 February 2021

Hats off to Steampunk


Challenge #147 at the Male Room is Steampunk.  I've never attempted it before - I'm not even entirely sure I know what it is!  So I thought I'd start with a bit of research!


According to Wikipedia, Steampunk is a retrofuturistic subgenre of science fiction that incorporates technology and aesthetic design inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery.  Steampunk works are often set in an alternative history of the Victorian era or the American "Wild West", where steam power remains in mainstream use, or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power. 


Hmmm not a lot clearer, but I thought perhaps that the Umbrella Academy which I (binge) watched during the beginning of the pandemic could be described as Steampunk!  The most bizarre character (there were quite a few of them) was a gold fish inside a robot by the name of Carmichael and he reminded me of this bizarre stamp of a brain in a light bulb (Fusion Art Stamps).  The stamp caught my eye when I saw it at a stall in Dortmund in early 2012 but it's just sat in a box for 9 years while I waited for my own light bulb moment on how best to use it!  

Wikipedia's mention of the Victorian era made me think of this top hat stamp and the thought of it sitting jauntily on top of the lightbulb was too much fun to resist.

This imagination sentiment (Stampers Anonymous Flights of Fantasy) seemed perfect.  I stamped it onto my background panel in black Versafine using my stamping platform.  I then overstamped it with Versamark and clear embossed it - aren't stamping platforms fabulous inventions! I  knew I wanted to add a few gears, and I thought it would be interesting to try out a few different embossing powders.  In the end I went with a verdigris powder - a mottled green/brown/gold. 

I wanted a subtle background and after a bit of experimenting stamped this clock collage stamp (Non-Sequitur Time and Space set) with a Smoke Blue Versacolor ink on a panel of mottled blue card stock.  The stamp was a little too small to cover the whole panel so I had to selectively mask to avoid hard edges in the middle of the panel.

I added a few coats of clear embossing powder to the lightbulb and assembled the card.  I added the gears with little "screw" brads so they do all turn.  And I tried to place them so that one gear would turn its neighbours.  It sort of works but the teeth don't have enough bite so they slip under each other.  Perhaps if I'd layered then up it would have worked better - next time!

Here's a closeup of the lightbulb and his verdigris embossed gear "legs"!

It felt good to let my imagination run a little wild - though I have no idea who I could possibly send this whacky card to!

Since the stamp for the lightbulb was NBUS I'll be entering my card into NBUS Challenge #23

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit.  If you leave a comment, I’ll be over the moon!  I’ll also know you were here, so I can check out what you’ve been up to and maybe get to know you a little better!

Hugs and stay safe,

Kate

4 comments:

  1. You researched as I did the first time I did Steampunk, I think you've hit the challenge on the head, this is a wonderful card, great colours and put together beautifully, love the sentiment too. Thank you so much for joining us in our Steampunk challenge at The Male Room Good Luck and I hope you will join us in our next challenge.
    Faith DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful steampunk card you made :-))
    Thanks for joining us at the The Male Room Craft Challenge ❤️ Hope to see you at the next challenge, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FantastiC steampunk card. Thank you for joining us at The Male Room challenge. Goga

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done a fantastic job with this! I have to admit that I'm never too sure with steampunk either but your card is great and I love the words you used too.

    Thanks for joining us at The Male Room Challenge.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!