Thursday 1 February 2024

Wonderful Mess!



 Challenge #256 at Time Out Challenges has just gone live and this fortnight we are CASEing the fabulous Sarah Gray - former Time Out DT Member and owner of Funky Fossil Design!

Here's a closeup of Sarah's card so you can see it in finer detail!

Funky Fossils are sponsoring Challenge 256 and are offering a very generous £25 gift certificate to our Top Pick as chosen by the Design Team.  As well as this wonderful prize, our Top Pick will also be invited to be our guest in a future challenge!

We are joined this challenge by Carol Mc of  Saw it. Had to Make It - our Top Pick of Challenge #253.  Do please check out the awesome inspiration from Carol and leave her a little love while you're there!  You can also check out Carol's inspiration along with the rest of the design team herehere!

For those unfamiliar with CASEing, there is a nifty acronym coined by Ardyth Percy-Robb for helping you take inspiration from someone else's work but making it your own - L I M E S!

List
Include
Modify
Exclude
Spin

I'm not going to go into too much detail, but the things that I loved about this design were 
    • the image itself (all the painting paraphernalia)
    • the chaos of creativity (splattering and spattering) 
    • the design is essentially confined to two corners and still has a lot of white space
    • the use of a mat to draw the eye toward those hues on the panel

As you can see, I've made an A2 rather than square card (square cards cost about 5 times as much to send here).  I've still used two corners but my design has been rotated to the right by 90º and I've replaced the colour chart in the upper left corner with my sentiment (which is why I had to rotate the design by 90º).  I had wanted to use a long thin piece of text from a Tim Holtz Flights of Fantasy set, but I have turned my craft stores upside down and I can't find it, so I've borrowed this Carabelle Studio Wonderful Life set from my good friend Lena - obviously I didn't want it reading sideways!

 I've created my arty "mess" with some very old stamps (WMS Splat That, WPlus9 Inksplats) but also teamed them up with some brand new dies that came with the Gummiapan Advent Calendar I ordered last year.

The paint brushes were cut a from off white card stock multiple times to build up the dimension and the brush ferrule (just found out that's what the metal part of a paint brush is called) was cut from a snippet of silver card stock and laid on top.  Various alcohol markers were used to colour the brush handles and paint dipped bristles.

I like the added texture and dimension of using the stamps with the die cuts.

 I've used bolder colours than Sarah and replacing that dusty pink with orange (used an orange mat too).

I used Mermaid Lagoon Distress Ink (blue), Squeezed Lemonade Distress Ink (yellow), Lady Bug Memento Ink (red) and Mustard Stazon Ink (orange) for the ink splatters. 


I've loved analysing and CASEing Sarah's card and hope you get a chance to play along with us for this special challenge.

Since the paint set was NBUS, I'd like to join NBUS Challenge #59;

I'd also like to join Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes!

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you go away a little inspired!  Your visits and comments are always a joy and always appreciated!  And if you leave a comment, I’ll know you were here and how to find you!

Kate




10 comments:

  1. What a fantastic CASE Kate! I love the dimension/texture of the splats and brushes and the wonderful sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, your artsy "mess" is great! I love your bright colors and those great die cut paint brushes!!! Who makes them? What a fun, crafty-feeling card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun, creative use of Sarah's inspiration, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great that Sarah is being CASED for this challenge and you really rose to the challenge, Kate! I love your artful design and your informative post with all the creative details! Thank you for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a striking card Kate!! I love your interpretation of the photo and the addition of the die cuts above the splatters really brings it all to life!! I love it!! Enjoy your weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the adaptation of your card is very successful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the new word: ferrule, Kate. I love your card. It's a beautiful mess! Love your bold color choices, the splats and spats. Wonderful sentiment too. I just love this type of challenge and reading the story behind the interpretation of the inspiration piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate, you created a wonderful mess!! I just love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your artsy mess, Kate. This is such a wonderful card, with a perfect sentiment. Love your card so much. Hugsxx Deepti

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should take a lesson from you and spend more time analyzing cards instead of being so literal, Kate. The layered splats look great and the brushes look like they're actually painting them. Love the bold color too.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!