Thursday 13 April 2023

Spotted Specs for World Book Day

 

Challenge #236 has just gone live at Time Out Challenges and it's a theme challenge in honour of World Book Day.  


I stamped this Swedish Proverb (Sugarpea Designs Read Between the Lines) on a striped panel - the proverb does mention between the lines so I thought stripes were definitely called for!  I cut the specs (Sugarpea Designs Open Book) from some co-ordinating spotted card stock.  I cut them again from a piece of recycled acetate packaging with the aid of a rubber embossing pad so they wouldn't be cut through.  I couldn't see how I could attach the clear lenses to the frames any other way!  I then used scissors to cut around the outside cutting line of the acetate specs (it didn't have to be perfect just as long as it wasn't visible around the frame) and then overlaid the spotty frame on top.  I then cut the the temples - I just found out that's what they're called - from more spotty card stock and attached the frames to these where the adhesive wouldn't be seen and added a little foam tape to support the bridge.  They really do look quite realistic don't ya think!  I'm so chuffed I finally figured out how to put them together in the way I'd imagined!  


It was a little too top heavy, so I added some potted plants using various dies to the bottom for balance and I must say I love the lift the little pink and yellow flowers gave the design!

I hope you'll join us in creating a project that celebrates books and reading!   My team mates have some wonderful projects and we're joined this challenge by Trina Pham as our guest designer.   Do drop by and say hi - we all appreciate a little comment love!
 

Our generous sponsor Newton's Nook are offering a $25 store credit to our Time Out Winner as chosen by the Design Team!  And the winner will be offered a guest design spot with us in a future challenge!   



I'd like to enter the following challenges

NBUS Challenge #49 - The Open Book Die Set is NBUS 

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you go away a little inspired!  Your visits and comments are always a joy and always appreciated!  And if you leave a comment, I’ll know you were here and how to find you!

Kate

12 comments:

  1. A fabulous card- I love the design and it's a brilliant take on your theme. Thank you for joining us at Fab'n' Funky.
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate...this is ingenious! I am so glad you told me what the reading chart said. The first thing I tried to do was figure out the letters...and of course, finally realized it was not in English. Too funny. Love your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is so cool and creative! Love the way you were able to attach the acetate lenses to your specs, very clever! The stripey paper is perfect too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! LOVE this clever and creative take on the challenge! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did think you had used real glasses until reading your explanation. Silly me. A great card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBH I would love a pair of specs like this Jeanne!

      Delete
  6. A brilliant idea and great execution. But I also had to smile a little. I also wear glasses and I always despair at the last line during the sea test ... *laugh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness I love these glasses and this wonderful sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful, well thought out design!. Love the story of how you figured out how to attach the lenses. Wonderful take on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever card, I love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect way to design a card around that sentiment, Kate. Your glasses are 'spec'tacular. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a fun card, Kate... Love the design so much... hugsxx Deepti

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!