Sunday 2 April 2023

Dream Bigger

This month at 613 The Avenue Create, we are challenging you to use stencils!  I am woefully short of stencils so I cheated a little!  I used a cover plate die to create a stencil from some heavy duty card stock and blended three colours of distress ink through it to make this rainbow "Southwest" background.  I fell in love with this Taylored Expressions Southwest cover plate die a few years ago - I thought it would make a wonderful background for a dream catcher but it's been sadly neglected all this time. 

 I started with Picked Raspberry on the top third of the panel, then Squeezed Lemonade on the middle third and Mermaid Lagoon on the bottom third.  Then I went over the areas where two colours met with both those colours - Picked Raspberry + Squeezed Lemonade produced an orange and Squeezed Lemonade + Mermaid Lagoon produced a green.

The advantage of a stencilled background rather than a die cut panel is that it's perfectly smooth and ready to be stamped on!  This big bold sentiment from Waltzing Mouse Stamps also got its first outing and sits beautifully under these feathers I cut from black card stock (WPlus9 Dream Catcher) - I gave them a coat of Glossy Accents, sprinkled some ultrafine iridescent glitter and then gave them another coat of glossy accents when the first one had dried!  This way they have the smooth shiny surface you expect from glossy accents yet the glitter underneath the surface still catches the light!  I think they resemble opals!

I also have this gorgeous rainbow die cut panel left over from the process!  Because I'd used low-tack tape to hold it still during the stencilling process, there were odd markings around the edges, so I went over the edges with a black permanent marker.  I'm not sure what I'll use it for yet - but definitely too pretty to discard!   


Just out of curiosity, does anyone else see two yellow eyes, pink lips, green eye brows and a third (blue) eye on the forehead???

I'd like to enter the following challenges

NBUS Challenge #49 - Southwest Panel, Text Stamp are both NBUS

Colourful Options April Challenge - Rainbow Option

The Sisterhood Of Crafters - Rainbows or Rainbow Colours

Try Stampin' on Tuesday Challenge #599 - Large Words or Text

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes

Krafty Chicks Challenge #657 - Anything Goes

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you go away a little inspired!  Your visits and comments are always a joy and always appreciated!  And if you leave a comment, I’ll know you were here and how to find you!

Kate



13 comments:

  1. 💗🧡💛💚💙💜 this! A perfectly blended rainbow! Love the sentiment! Thank you for playing along with us at the Colorful Options Challenge. Have a crafty week! Cheers, Makira

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, this is gorgeous! Those feathers are quite the design statment!
    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, what a clever stenciled card! Love your bright colors,,, and YES, I see the face on the stencil itself, too!! The large sentiment stamped in black is a great way to let the southwestern feel come through without blocking any of the pattern. Thank you so much for sharing your card and techniques with us at Try Stampin' on Tuesday for our "large text" challenge!!! -Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this card is wonderful! Really amazing!

    Hugs,
    Conny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning card with the colors of the rainbow!!! And I'm curious what you will use the other part for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEAUTIFULLY done Kate! Love it! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Sisterhood of Crafters challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    Sisterhood of Crafters
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Triple B ... OUR NEW CHALLENGE BLOG which is all about butterflies, birds & blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful stencilled card Kate gorgeous bright colours! hugs Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kate - first of all, this is a super card! Secondly - do please hop over to The Snippets Playground and take a look at the results post which was published on 26th March!!

    Hugs
    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It took me a second, Kate, but I do see it! It's the yellow eyes that finally focus it ~ and I agree, it is WAY too gorgeous to discard! You were very clever to make your own stencil out of the cover plate and very talented with your blending. I love the big bold sediment and how you glossified the dream catcher! Thank you for inspiring everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredible background! I see the eyes too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! So pretty! Lovely color, gorgeous feathers, and wonderful design!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a clever use of that cover plate die. Love your card!
    Hugs, Sandy (613 Avenue Create DT)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow! I love the rainbow and the textures. Thanks for joining us at Colorful Options!

    Sara Lihz

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!