Wednesday 17 January 2024

Under His Wings



We had the most horrible shock this week when we lost a dear friend and member of our community under terrible circumstances.  She went out late in the afternoon on Monday (the first sunny day we'd had in months) and never returned.  With the sub-zero temperatures we have been experiencing this last week, we had hoped she had ended up in a shelter or was visiting a friend and had forgotten to mention it.  It was a tough few days for her family and loved ones as hundreds of volunteers pored through the neighbouring forests as well as neighbouring villages and bus depots looking for signs of her.  She wasn't discovered until Friday afternoon.  

She was such a sweet lady, with a razor sharp wit and a ready smile.   I toyed with the idea of this card during the days she was missing but I couldn't bring myself to start on it until yesterday.  I thought perhaps it might bring me some comfort to make something for her.  I also thought the rest of our choir would appreciate a way to express our grief - her late husband was our former choir director.  And I also wanted to express our sympathy to her family and remind them how loved their mother was.

The angel wings are from the Gummiapan Advent Calendar (Day 8) -  I cut them four times and separated the layers of feathers (it only takes a snip or two) and layered them up for dimension - adding gilding wax to each layer before adhering it to the layer underneath.

The bow is from a Greetery set (Mini Posy Pocket) and I layered this up 3 times for stability as I knew it would be sitting astride the wings.  I added gilding wax to this too.  The bow reminded me of a cardigan Anne would wear.

The sentiment is from one of my old Waltzing Mouse Stamps sets - Fine Feathers.  I heat embossed it with WOW! Metallic Gold Rich Pale Regular onto some off-white cardstock, then cut it with this lovely torn page die (Day 13 from the Gummiapan Advent Calendar).   

I then added more gilding wax around the edges and adhered it to a trifold card I made up specially so there would be plenty of room for everyone in the choir to sign.

Inside I paraphrased something one of our choir members shared earlier in the week when we were desperate for news of her and feared the worst - it offered us all a little comfort!  The wing stamp is from the same set as the sentiment.

I'd like to enter the following challenges

Alphabet Challenge Challenge - U is for Under Something;

Word Power Challenge #1 - I hope this lovely scripture text is appropriate for this new challenge which focusses on sentiments and text;

NBUS Challenge #58 - NBUS Torn Page Frame, Angel Wings and Mini Posy sets;

Thanks for stopping by, your visits and comments are always a joy and always appreciated!  And if you leave a comment, I’ll know you were here and how to find you!

Kate

4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear of the loss of your dear friend. The card is beautiful with the angel wings and psalm. I’m sure it will be appreciated by the recipient. Take care, hugs!! Maria Patrick(Maria’s Merry Makings)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so sorry, Kate. What a sad way to start the year. Your card is exactly the style I prefer for sympathy cards. This is so elegant and beautiful! PS--Happy my card made it to you. Hugs, Greta

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss Kate. Your card is absolutely awesome and comforting! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our WORD POWER challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth,Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B, Word Power

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet CAS card! I'm sure the family will be comforted by it. Love how you used the torn edge to create a simple texture. Thank you for playing with us at the Alphabet Challenge. I hope you can join us again soon.
    Debbie, DT
    Secrets To Stamping
    Join my Creative Creases Challenge for fun folds!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!