Thursday 12 October 2023

Fabulous Vintage

 


Time Out Challenge #249 has just gone live and this fortnight we are challenging you to be 

Vintage


I'd like to thank our generous sponsor Doodle Bugs who are offering a $25 store credit to our Time Out Winner as chosen by the Design Team!  Doodle Bugs carry most of the popular brands and have years of experience in the paper crafting industry!  



The winner will also be invited to join us as a guest designer in a future challenge!

 I went searching for a definition of Vintage and it is more encompassing than I had originally thought.  Here are some definitions I found

  • denoting something from the past of high quality, especially something representing the best of its kind:
  • used to describe clothing, jewellery, etc. that is not new, especially when it is a good example of a style from the past:
I thought I'd start with ribbon - I felt that vintage definitely involved ribbon and bows and I was looking for a tool I have somewhere that helps you tie ribbons because my attempts without it were not great!  I didn't find it but I did find a packet of vintage photos which I must have bought a very long time ago from Crafty Individuals (might even have been a free gift)!   I was rather taken by this lass wearing a wide brimmed hat with a huge blue bow and finally I had an inkling of of an idea!  

To start with, I made her a frame from a snippet of blue card stock using two square dies.  I stacked a couple of these for dimension so the frame was higher than the photo.

Next I vaguely remembered I had an embossing folder or two that might work and happened upon this one.  I have no idea of the name of it because the packaging had long been abandoned and there is no marking on the folder itself.  I don't think I've previously used it because I was amazed at how deep and crisp the embossing was - I absolutely love it and will definitely be using it again!  Once embossed, I went over the panel with Antique Linen DI to highlight the pattern and to give the appearance of aged lace.

I wanted to add some real lace but wasn't happy with any of the laces I had in my stash. and instead used this border die (Spellbinders Doily Accents) that I had previously used to mimic lace.  Once cut, I distressed it with Gathered Twig and Broken China DIs.

I searched in vain for a button that wasn't too thick (in case I need to post it) but still a good size.  I was about to give up on this idea when as luck would have it, I happened to spot a box of dies I had open - I'd just finished a bunch of dinosaur cards and sitting on the magnetic sheet next to where the dinosaur dies should have been had I put them away once I'd finished with them - were some button dies I'd bought ages ago (PTI Bitty Buttons).   I stacked a few buttons and coloured them with Broken China DI.   

To finish I cut three of this "fabulous" sentiment (Honey Bee), stacked them and coloured them with Broken China DI.




I hope you'll join us and look forward to seeing your Vintage Creations in the Gallery.  If you're stumped, my team mates have plenty of inspiration for you and we're joined this challenge by the very talented Cynthia Olheiser of Stampin' In Alaska!  Do drop by and say hi from me!

I'd like to enter the following challenges
NBUS Challenge #55 - the Fleur de Lys Embossing Folder;

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you go away a little inspired!  Your visits and comments are always a joy and always appreciated!  And the upside of leaving a comment is that I’ll know you were here and how to find you!

Kate

12 comments:

  1. Wow, Kate that embossing- the Sepia tones - the photo.. you made this card look like it's been taken out from the treasures that your Grandmother may have kept in the Attic. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate... given the definition, the photo you found is wonderful! Actually I would really like that hat! The distressed baroque background is perfect for this elegant pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh this is a beautiful creation that image is amazing so is the card design thank you for joining us at Allsorts
    hugs
    lolo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous creation Kate, I love the embossed background. Thank you for joining in the Allsorts Challenge this week using the Vintage option.
    Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really lovely Vintage creation with the pretty Art Deco image focally, many thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge this week.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally fabulous card. Thank you for sharing at Allsorts Vintage week;-))m

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your vintage lady -and the card- both fabulous! This reminds me I think I have a very similar embossing folder -I should definitely have used it for this challenge! Bummer! Love the look you created with inking the background. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous is the perfect sediment for this beautiful vintage card, Kate! Your process is an excellent example of why your cards are not just cards, they are works of art! So much thought and skill - and often, serendipity! - go into each design. Thank you for inspiring everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell (Sorry to be so late. I'm just home from travels and trying to slowly get caught up. It's good to be home!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful. I love how you picked up the colour from her hat. And that background - such gorgeous texture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such an awesome Vintage Card, Kate. I really love the embossed background and the lace behind the beautiful Elegant pic. Totally love it. Hugsxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is amazing how one old photo inspired this fantastic card, Kate. That embossing folder really did give a great impression and inking it made it appear to have even more texture. Bitty buttons?! I have those dies and haven't used them in ages. They appealed to me since I was a seamstress then I barely used them, but just couldn't part with them either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry that I did not get around to letting you know until now, how much I love your vintage challenge creation. So many wonderful details - the picture, colors, embossing, lace... it's beautiful and so apropos for our challenge.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!