Monday 5 June 2023

Blooming Bookmark

 

I started this bookmark card a while back but only just finished it recently.  Normally I add a pocket when I create a bookmark card, but for this one I attached the bookmark with the aid of magnets.   It worked well until I added that tassel which is so heavy,  my original magnets weren't strong enough.  I've added a larger magnet to the inside.  To dress up magnets which can't be hidden, I add a little bit of DP cut with one of the many dies I have that cut small circles (flower centres, border dies and such)!  If you can't hide something, make it  feature!

The bookmark was stamped with the Sugar Pea Designs set Read Between the Lines and cut with the Brainy Bookmark set (also from Sugar Pea) though I trimmed it down so I could fit it on a standard card size.  I added a snippet of "striped" DP to the top and bottom before I cut the bookmark and added strips of gold paper at the join lines.   I added one of the gorgeous blooms (Spellbinders Be Bold Blooms) - I had a few blooms left over from the last time I used this set.   I added more blooms to the card itself, some of which are just peeking out when the bookmark is attached to the card front!  

Here's what the card looks like once the bookmark has been removed.   

As well as the lovely blooms is an impressive stack of summertime reading!  The "quill" on top is actually a leaf from the same set but I think it resembles a feather - that space needed something but I didn't want it visible when the bookmark was in place!

Once I had cut my stackof pink books, I tried masking the covers and colouring the pages with gold gilding wax which didn't work - the gilding wax got everywhere despite my best efforts.  So I cut another stack of books from the pink, cut away the pages and attached it on top of the gold one to hide the mess!  There are only a few places where you have to snip so the pages came away quite easily.  I suppose if I'd used a gold pen rather than the gilding wax, it would have been less mess and less work, but I doubt it would have looked as realistic.


 I decorated the insert and envelope with reduced stacks and just cut these from gold and pink, snipped away the pages on the pink ones and overlaid these "covers"!
 
The reason I wanted to get it finished was The Library Challenge has just reopened and the Librarian has chosen The Reading List to celebrate!  

 
 
 For Flower Challenge #81, we're asked to use our favourite flower!  I don't really have a favourite flower - they're all beautiful IMO!  However this Spellbinders Be Bold Blooms set is most definitely my favourite flower die at the moment!  


I'd also like to enter my card in the Triple B June Challenge - Just Blooms today;

Bastel-Traum Challenge #124 - Plants and Flowers;

and Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes!

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you go away a little inspired!  Your visits and comments are always a joy and always appreciated!  And if you leave a comment, I’ll know you were here and how to find you!

Kate

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful card thanks for sharing with us over at 'The Flower Challenge'. Btw. I had to add your card again as the cards were posted too small...sorry my mistake when doing the link. hope I added the right pic? ;) Viv DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How unique & creative! I simply love it! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our newest adventure - Triple B challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    Co-Owner
    Triple B
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this card Kate, what a great design for a bookmark card. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lot if work has gone into this card/ bookmark set and it looks amazing. Thanks for joining The Library

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun and clever design! I love the bookmark hiding the surprise behind, but letting those pretty flowers peek out either way! Thanks so much for sharing with us at The Flower Challenge this month!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!