Tuesday 17 January 2023

Scrapped Quilt


One of my best friends is having a special birthday in a few weeks and she deserves a really special card!  I've been collecting tail ends from cutting panels for some time now, with the idea of using them with this Woven Ribbon die (Frantic Stamper) so I put together some strips that I thought would complement each other.


Firstly I embossed - NOT cut - a piece of grey card with the quilt die so I had a base to attach the pieces to.  I did trim the outside edge as you can see from the photo below!  Then I started cutting the pieces needed for the quilt (starting with the longest since some of my strips were only short) and laying them on the embossed piece of grey in a pattern I was happy with.


I prefer to use the metric card sizes A6 - these are the sizes for which I can readily find envelopes in this part of the world.  The ratio of this die (5"x3.75") doesn't really fit very well with an A6 card, so I ended up cutting the quilted panel down to fit in a frame that would fit on an A6 card base and I used stitched rectangles to create the frame (in keeping with the sewing theme)!

Once I had my card front assembled, I just had to work out the what to say on the front - I didn't want to hide too much of all the hard work I'd gone to but it needed something.


I cut her name from various snippets of paper I still had left over using this Memorybox Varsity Alphabet set because I love the stitching detail on it and because the letters are tall and thin so they would easily fit on the card front and on the thin strips of scrap DP I had!

I have a lovely stamp that says "You're sew special" but I used it on her 40th, so I computer-generated this sentiment "You're still sew special" for this card and cut it with a postage stamp square (Spellbinders) which I think makes it look like a fabric swatch.  I stacked it up 3 times and mounted it on dimensional tape.  

Here's a closeup!  It was a lot of effort, but I love how it turned out!




Apart from my friend Jo, I made this card for Pixie's Snippets Playground Challenge #445 - where we are aked to "Show your snippets".  It's a special challenge this fortnight because it's Di's 11th blogoversary!  

I'd also like to enter NBUS Challenge#46 - I finally used this die which I bought in April 2019! 🙈

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you go away a little inspired!  Your visits and comments always brighten my day!  And if you leave a comment, I’ll know you were here and how to find you!

Kate

10 comments:

  1. Your commitment to Jo's card was worth it, Kate! What a beautiful gift this is for her and I'm sure she will treasure it. Your photos of the process are so clear and perfect to let us see the process! Thank you for inspiring everyone at NBUS and great job using your snippets, too! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a fabulous design and so many snippet strips used up in this beautiful quilted card.

    Thanks for entering a piece of homework to the Snippets Playground - there’s a bunch of us up in the treehouse celebrating Miss Di’s 11th anniversary- come up and join us x

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful quilt card! Wow, this is wonderful, and a great idea to emboss and allow the background to stay intact

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing and it was worth the work!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stunning card Kate! So pretty and VERY Laura Ashley - from my patch working days. Mine is an ongoing project, needless to say! So lovely that you also personalised the card for her - LOVE it!

    Hugs

    Di xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS - I meant to say that, over time. I have come to really like the USA 'A2' card size - ie. 5.5" x 4.25". They work well ans are so pleasing to the eye, due to the balanced proportion. I cut my own cards mostly, using Craft UK white card blanks, sold as 6" x 6" but are in fact a bit smaller as 6" x 6" is the envelope size.

    A2 sized envelopes are easier to get than they used to be, but not really cheap. I often use Bumbleberry Crafts or even Amazon UK for A2 envelopes. It's hard to consistently get really crisp white A2 envelopes, but I figure that most people wouldn't be sitting opening their post and comparing the card itself to the slight off-white envelope! Very sad it they are!

    Hugs

    Di xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is brilliant that you embossed the base then added the strips and the die cut name from the papers is perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, the effort was so very worth it. The card is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely beautiful and a well deserved pick in the snippet playground. I just had to come and see how you did it with the raised sections. I have quilt dies but never thought to try this with them. The stitched letters are just perfect too. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fabulous quilt card - I've just hopped over from the Snippets Playground where I saw your card was one of Sarn's Top Picks!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!