Thursday 6 May 2021

By the Sea



I finally finished this mini album I made to celebrate a significant birthday my hubby just celebrated - it actually started out as a card but I got a bit carried away.  The photos were taken on our last family holiday when we went over to Scotland for our eldest son's graduation ceremony.  We spent a day at the National Museum of the Royal Navy in Hartlepool on the way back which is where most of the photos were taken.  I'd like to emphasise that that musket is not functional!

I started with a "porthole" cut from a woodgrain patterned paper and his favourite bird - the Pelican (Cottage Cutz) and a few scraps of fishing net (Amy Design).  At that point I thought it might be nice to insert a photo rather than create a seascape inside the porthole and the idea for the mini album took hold!  Here's a closeup of the pelican - I cut him from white card stock, coloured the feet orange and used distress ink on the wing and beak.


Inside are photos of our three boys and one of me (pretty rare as I'm usually trip photographer).  I cut some sea gulls (Frantic Stamper) and a golden sun (Village Sky also from Frantic Stamper) and some other maritime themed die cuts which were from a die set I picked up in Dortmund at a craft fair.  My husband is an old sea dog - the son of an officer of the Royal Australian Navy - so I'm always on the lookout for anything nautical.


On the back cover I framed a photo of my hubby and our youngest son in front of some pretty impressive rigging. 


 I'm entering the following challenges

The Male Room - Water/Beach

Pixie's Snippets Playground Challenge #402 - those little nautical  die cuts were all cut from snippets


NBUS Challenge #26 - the Pelican and the Seagulls were NBUS

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit.  If you leave a comment, I’ll be over the moon!  I’ll also know you were here, so I can check out what you’ve been up to and we can get better acquainted!

Kate

5 comments:

  1. Oh this is really great Kate - and you had good weather it seems. I love how your project began as a card then 'grew and grew'!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful mini-album keepsake for your hubby's special birthday, Kate! I'm so delighted - as I'm sure he was - that you followed your inner muse and made the album to commemorate your special trip to Scotland! Thank you for sharing with everyone at NBUS! I hope you are keeping well! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful masculine card. I love the dies used and the cool colors.
    Thanks for playing at The Male Room Challange.
    Majda DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you achieved here, such a fabulous idea and great work. Love it. Thank you so much for joining us in our Water/Beach challenge at The Male Room Good Luck and I hope you will join us in our next challenge.
    Faith DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great masculine mini album! Thank you for sharing your creative talents with us at The Male Room. Sorry, I'm late with commenting
    Maja DT

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!