Wednesday 17 October 2018

A Quilted Card


My lovely niece and God-daughter is expecting her first child in December and I was recently selling some of my cards at a local market, when I saw this funky modern baby quilt at a neighbouring stand.  As is usually the case (and I don't think I'm alone in this)  I spent everything I had made (plus my considerable float) to buy it.

This card really was a labour of love - not just for my soon-to-be new great-nephew but also for the quilter and her gorgeous creation.  I went though all my stamps, selected patterns which represented the patterns on the quilt and embossed them with many different coloured embossing powders, ink colours and card stock until I was happy with the mix.  I then used the second smallest Spellbinders Postage Stamp Square die to create the swatches.  I also found a punch in my collection (which I had forgotten I had - sound familiar) to create some smaller swatches and superimposed them on the larger swatches.


The stitch lines around the swatches were made using a Paper Smooches die set.  I used another die from the same set to create a row of cross-stitches on the envelope.  I had plenty of swatches left over so will use one of them as an envelope seal.  



The border of the quilt is a grey polka dot, so I matted the panel on grey polka dotted paper and used the same paper for this Welcome sentiment from Lil' Inkers Designs.  As it was sitting astride swatches, I  layered up 3 grey card-stock die-cuts under it to give support and height.  

There are striped and spotted papers and patterns used in the card, so I thought I would enter it in the current Double D Challenge Stripes and Dots




I just noticed that the current challenge for Time Out is Colourful.  So I'm linking up there as well




Thanks for stopping by, especially if you take the time to leave some feedback.  I can't say how much I appreciate your kind words and support.

Kate

9 comments:

  1. Very creative Kate and love the added patch on the envelope too! Nice touch! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘Stripes & Dots’ challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    DOUBLE D Challenge Blog
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please stop in for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks pretty awesome and love what you have made for our "SPOTS & STRIPES" Challenge. Your card is fabulous and love the super design and colours. Thanks for joining in and good luck in the draw. ♥ DOUBLE D ♥
     [aNNie DT member for Double D Challenges]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this so much. The patterned papers are perfect here, and what an adorable design! Great take on the Mood Board, thanks so much for playing along with us over at the Double D Stripes and Dots Challenge. Hope we see you back again soon!!
    Judy~ DD DT
    {Judy's Happy Place} Stop by and see me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my, I just have to say I do love the quilt! An up to date take on an ages old craft. Your card is perfect to go with it. Even if I hadn't seen the quilt I would love your card for its design and colors/patterns. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Double D!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful card and one she will treasure for sure! Thank you for joining our challenge at Double D!
    Diane DD DT {Nellies Nest}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is amazing...what a special card! The colors and patterns are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fabulous card and wonderful modern design. Love the colours and the nice touch of a patch on the envelope

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, that quilt is gorgeous, Kate ... what a wonderful find ... and such perfect timing for the arrival of your great nephew! Your card inspired by it is brilliant ... such a delicious blend of patterns and colours ... and what fabulous detailing! Delighted to have you playing along with us at Time Out! Hugs, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely quilt and beautiful card to go along with it! And I love the way you used a swatch for an envelope seal. Love those little details! Thanks for playing our Time Out challenge.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!