Wednesday 11 November 2020

Seeing Stars

 


Challenge #33 at Twofer is Stars.  This was more difficult than I thought it would be - mainly because I see stars as an afterthought and I'm pretty sure the prompt has to be key to the design - so I hope both cards fit the prompt!

My stars die is part of the Frantic Stamper Village Sky set.  This set also contains some dinky little clouds, a funky little sun, a moon and even a jet plane - great for scene building!



My first card was inspired by Anita's gorgeous card.  Anita used stars as flowers in her first twofer design and it reminded me of the origin of the Christmas tree lights story.  A man was coming home late one night and was inspired by the stars twinkling through the trees to tie candles to a fir tree (a real fire trap to be sure).  So that's where I went with the first card.  

Here's a closeup of the card




I wanted to play in Squash It Challenge #2 which is to use a Christmas Embossing Folder AND a Christmas stamp.  I embossed the PEACE on earth (Waltzing Mouse Say It Loud Winter) in silver and then ran it through the Cuttlebug Snowflakes Embossing Folder - the only Christmas embossing folder I own!



Christmas Kickstart Challenge #42  has the same embossing folder technique challenge!



You may not be able to tell from the photo but the card stock is actually a very deep blue.  I also distressed the snow drifts and the branches with Blue Jeans DI to give them a blueish tinge because I wanted to play along with Challenge #23 of the Rainbow Card Challenge - Sparkling Sapphire.


Which coincides nicely with Less is More Challenge #432 - Blue & Silver or Red & Gold!



and also with Inspirational Challenge #225 - Night


My second card was the one I struggled with.  I had thought to go with a baby card and use the sentiment "A Star is Born".  I was scrolling through my stamps for inspiration when the line "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" popped into my head.  So I ended up pulling out the Waltzing Mouse Ocean Bound Stamp Set which has a lovely tall ship silhouette in it and flanked it with a few of the Village Sky Stars cut from marine blue!  The stars aren't the focal point of the scene but they definitely lifted the design!


I have been meaning to try this Lifesaver idea out for a few months now.  I cut two rings out using stitched circles (Crea-nest-lies XL Dies #21 and #33) - one in red and 1 in white.  I cut the white ring in quarters and placed two quarter on opposite sides of the red ring (or maybe it was a the other way around but either way works).  I then wound some twine around the joins and used it to frame my tall ship and stars scene - cute huh!!  My husband comes from a naval family so I love new nautical ideas!

I used a piece of striped DP so I could enter Use Your Stuff Challenge #409.  This piece of DP has probably been in my stash for 10 years - good to finally use it (or at least some of it)!


I specifically chose the colour scheme of red white and blue on this card so I could enter it in the Cuttlebug Mania Challenge to use Red White and Blue.


This Waltzing Mouse Ocean Bound stamp set was bought in 2013 and hasn't seen ink in a few years, it was good to dust it off and use it again!  I'm also entering this card in Retro Rubber Challenge #147!



Thanks for stopping by - I hope you enjoyed your visit.  If you leave a comment, I'll know where to find you and can return the favour!
Hugs,

Kate

19 comments:

  1. Simply splendid LIM make and fab that you've fitted it in with the other challenges too, excellent take on the twofer too

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cards are fabulous and a great idea for a twofer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous, Kate, and I love how dramatic that embossed background looks in that colour! Thanks for playing at CKC and Let's Squash It, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute. Thanks for playing along with us at Use Your Stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful masculine card. I love the nautical look. Thanks for joining our stripes challenge at Use Your Stuff this week and hope to see you again!
    Tammy DT Co-ordinator

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was interesting to read the background thinking and making of both cards. What different results from the stars! The nautical card is great. Thanks for joining in with us at Retro Rubber Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, two very different cards from the prompts. So pretty. Thanks for joining the fun at Retro Rubber for our Anything Goes challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love both of these, I love the ship card, the sentiment is very clever. Thanks for joining us at Retro Rubber this time. Claire DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great cards! Thanks for joining us at The Rainbow card Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I realized a few months into Twofer that it would be hard to always make the prompt the focus pocus, so you still qualify for recognition with these two distinctly different and beautiful cards, Kate! In fact, in my eyes you qualify for recognition with ALL these challenges you supported with your creations. I love the texture and color of your Christmas card and thank you for the little story, too. And your nautical card is red, white, and blue perfection! I love the way you made that life safer. Thank you so much for playing in TCC #33! Keep well! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love both your cards and the nautical one is perfect for our challenge.

    Thanks for joining us at Use Your Stuff.

    Helen x
    GDT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both of your cards are great! The one on the left is very elegant. Thank you so much for joining us at the Rainbow Challenge! Hugs! Katy DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both cards are very nicely done. Since my hubby was a NAVY guy...I'm always drawn to nautical cards!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A fabulous starry twofer, Kate ... they certainly qualify! The starry branches over the snowflake-y, texture-y night sky really pop ... a lovely peaceful scene. That's such a stately tall ship ... and with the stars around it, it puts me in mind of the Narnian Dawn Treader! The life saver is so clever ... and creative ... the 'rope' is a brilliant touch! Thanks so much for the shout-out ... and for playing along with us at Twofer! Hugs, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the dark snowflake background. Very dramatic. Thanks for joining the fun at Let's Squash It! and Christmas Kickstart Challenge. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous twofers ! Love your snowy night sky and the contrast made with the white branch. Thanks so much for sharing and for playing along at the Rainbow Card Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm impressed on how you were able to incorporate our sapphire color onto your card. Very clever, indeed. I love how you used stars as leaves on the branches. Thanks for joining us at Rainbow Card Challenge.

    sue n.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both cards are beautiful. Great to see you in the Rainbow Card Challenge gallery. Hope you will join us again soon. Nandini, DT

    ReplyDelete
  19. Terrific cards! Thank you for playing along with us at The Rainbow Card Challenge! Hope to see you join us again!

    Hugs,
    Mary Ellen, TRCC DT
    www.creativetimewithme.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!