Saturday 9 March 2019

Purple Wedding Card


I was so happy with how my this tartan die worked out in it's first outing I wanted to use it again.  A young friend of mine is getting married soon so I wanted to make a card for her big day.  At the same time I thought I would make some wedding cards for sale at a market coming up in May or at least make some of the elements for that purpose while I had the dies and card stock out.  So I started with the fairly simple and elegant colour scheme of Cream and Gold.  As I was putting the card together, I thought I would make it a bit more personal so I went with introducing her favourite colour - purple.  That was a lot easier than trying to figure out how I could add a unicorn to a wedding card, which is another thing she really likes!

Once I had layered up a couple of these heart die cuts (WMS My Heart) for depth and stability and I coated the heart with Versamark and a couple of coats of UTEE.  Once I had a good deep coating of UTEE I added the Pale Gold Tempera powder and purple embossing powder.  I love the molten glass effect you get, how the gold and purple sink down into the UTEE.



I then did something similar with the sentiment (Crealies Text Die) except I started with purple embossing powder and then added the UTEE and then the gold powder.  I also added a little darker purple embossing powder which is why you can see dark flecks if you look closely. 


It wasn't easy keeping those small cavities in the sentiment from clogging up.  What I find works is while using the heat gun, I anchor the die cut onto my non-stick craft mat, using a pair of craft tweezers and I keep moving the die cut around so that the cavities don't fill up, it runs off onto the craft mat instead if that makes sense.  There can be a bit of a mess on the back of the die cut, but I have found that having double sided tape on the back means that I can just peel all this off.  It may require additional adhesive to use it on my project, but it's nice and clean (and above all flat) after peeling off that backing.

A few purple pearls really highlight the soft purple embossing as well as that lovely tartan backdrop.

Because I used the colour purple, I am entering it into the Fabulous February Challenge at Shopping Our Stash.  



Challenge #153  at CAS on Friday has an Embossing Challenge this week



No matter how I try, I can never exactly replicate these embossed die cuts - they're always unique.  So I'm entering this card in the Current Time Out Challenge 




I'd also like to enter this card in this month's Anything Goes with Dies Challenge at Happy Little Stampers 




Thanks for stopping by, especially if you take the time to leave a comment.  Your kind words will make my day!!!

Kate

6 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful wedding card, and I love how you used that die. I have a similar die, and never thought of it as tartan, until you mentioned it. Love that interpretation. Thanks so much for playing along at Time Out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 2-toned heart is beautiful and it feels so in balance this design; great! Thank you for joining us at TIME OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely and quite imaginative! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Shopping Our Stash!
    Hugz,
    Chana, DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulously unique Kate - love that die you've used in the background. The embossed hearts look amazing, almost like a shop bought embellishment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, you have created a treasured keepsake for your young friend! In fact, if I were her, I would frame this! I did closeups of all your images to see the brilliant details! Most of all, thank you for the tip about putting double-sided tape on the back of your sediment die-cut before heating it with the heat gun ~ genius!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful dimension and elements Kate! Lovely creation~

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!