Wednesday 15 April 2015

Beguiling Butterfly


I wanted to make a really special card for my dear friend Maggie who has her birthday this week.  I've been thinking about it for ages but with 2 days to go I thought I had better do more than just think about it, action was required and decisions had to be made.  In the end I built up the card around this sheet of DP which just happened to be on my work desk.  It seemed perfect for Maggie, with loads of motivational phrases as well as words that really stand out like Birthday and Cake!!!    I built up a thick layer of embossing on a butterfly element and overstamped it with a Crafty Individual text stamp.  This stamp features lots of motivational words so I thought they would tie in nicely together.  I tried to stamp  the portion of the stamp which had the word "Believe" across the body of the butterfly.  Here's a close up of the butterfly.  



You may be wondering about that enamelled border piece on the left as well.  That was part of a Sizzix Eyelets Card Front which I cut down to size, coated with the Seaglass Colorbox pigment ink and several layers of clear embossing powder.


The rest of the inspiration came from the fact that there's a Waltzing Mouse Pyjama Party going on and the Old Pyjamas challenge this month is to use WMS stamps which match Spellbinders Nesties. 


Stamps to match spellbinders dies was the first thing that got me hooked on Waltzing Mouse Stamps !!!  I was so in love with Claire's stamp designs that I bought several spellbinders sets to go with them.  Labels 14 was one such set, though it was initially the 'Twas the Night Before Christmas stamp set and the Holiday Labels No. 14 sets which made me drool. The Country Labels 14 set which I've used here is a fairly recent addition (and it's on sale too).  I stamped the Labels 14 frame in Seaglass Colorbox pigment ink and embossed with clear powder.  I cut out the centre of the frame with a Petite Oval Spellbinders die and stamped a sentiment from Old Country Roses on a recessed panel as it fitted perfectly in the inner frame.  I love the shadow effect this added dimension gives.

Speaking of dimension, Virginia's View has a challenge this month to add layers and dimension.  


Thanks for stopping by, especially if you take the time to comment,
Kate





3 comments:

  1. Hi Kate! I think your friend is going to love this card as much as I do. Simply beautiful and the embossed edge is a neat idea .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card, love all the layers and dimension. The embossing is fab making everything pop :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card... fab butterfly!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!